Friday, June 12, 2009

Seven Most Beautiful Songs I've Ever Heard - Parte Trois

The Seven Most Beautiful Songs I've Ever Heard

Over the next week, I will be blogging the seven most beautiful songs I've ever heard. The genres span from indie rock, like the selected track below, to gangsta rap, to arena rock. What I consider beautiful may be different than readers, but I think that all of these songs are amazing in their own rights.




"In The Beginning" from K'Naan's The Dusty Foot Philosopher, is one of those tracks that does more for its genre than it can hope to receive. It is characterized as a hip/hop track, but I feel as if it every song in the album should be reorganized. True, songs like "Soobax," and "If Rap Gets Jealous," are maintain stubborn connections to traditional rap, however, others, like "Voices in My Head" and "I Was Stabbed By Satan," remind listeners of a Mos Def, Talib Kweli-esque vibe. Some tracks even are akin to Eminem tracks, like "Strugglin'."

But this post is about, to me, the break-out track of this 2005 release. "In The Beginning" was most recently featured as the play-out track from the film Harold and Kumar Escape from Guantanamo Bay. The song seems to celebrate general freedom, the idea that someone can do anything at anytime without fear of punishment or opposition. It's startling how much I thought this was some sort of hidden Eminem track when I first heard it, but what sets the two apart is K'Naan's obsession with world music, the inclusion of instruments that span the globe. His raspy voice may remind listeners of a Stephen Marley, but don't expect a groovy stoned-friendly track. This is not for those who want a relaxing reggae mix. This song is designed to be blasted on the beach, preferably with a game of wiffleball or beach volleyball. It's a very summery song.

It's no surprise that it was featured in a montage of stoners running through Amsterdam trying on masks and the absurdities found in the film.


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uq0pygjQK74
just the track!

No comments: